IWD street art by Sophy Robson, London, UK
Be inspired by examples of great IWD activity
International Women's Day provides an important and exciting opportunity to celebrate women's achievements and elevate visibility, while amplifying a call to action to everyone everywhere to do what they can to help build an inclusive world - a world where diverse backgrounds, perspectives and talent are sought, valued and embraced.
While International Women's Day is 110 years old, it's the large-scale global collective action that makes IWD truly effective and impactful. It's YOU who makes IWD successful. It's YOU who forges enduring change. It's YOU who chooses to challenge while others stay silent. The IWD website mobilizes the mobilizers, and supports the supporters, but it's YOUR deep widescale collective action that drives positive change. World-renowned feminist, journalist and activist Gloria Steinem once explained: "The story of women's struggle for equality belongs to no single feminist nor to any one organization but to the collective efforts of all who care about human rights." So make International Women's Day YOUR day and do what you can to truly make a positive difference for women.
See how groups are marking International Women's Day and engaging communities to #ChooseToChallenge.
Mobilizing millions to #ChooseToChallenge
The Uk's Royal Mail's special #IWD2021 #ChooseToChallenge postmark is being applied to millions of stamped mail items over three days of the International Women's Day period to drive awareness raising ... more
#ChooseToChallenge 3D avatar activity for the masses
Avatar-based social network Zepeto is engaging its 200 million registered users around the world to #ChooseToChallenge via its 3D avatar platform ... more
Spoken word poets call to #ChooseToChallenge
Be engaged, inspired and mesmerized by the power of the spoken word as a call to action to #ChooseToChallenge ... more
Groups call for action via #ChooseToChallenge videos
While there are hundreds of videos from around the world, here are just a few to take a look at.
IWD rap unpacks what it means to #ChooseToChallenge
The power and pertinence of rap can powerfully rally those who hear the #ChooseToChallenge call ... more
IWD street art uplifts and unifies communities
Community engagement forms a key part of IWD activity around the world ... more
Companies create #ChooseToChallenge microsites
In addition to extensive internal IWD activity across their regions of presence, industry leading companies devote whole #ChooseToChallenge sections on their website, like AECOM.
Sporting bodies amplified a #ChooseToChallenge call to action
Leading sporting teams engaged their fans and communities to #ChooseToChallenge, so check out some of the action:
Creative typography can write a new future
Thought-provoking clever design inspires new thinking about a call to #ChooseToChallenge ... more
#ChooseToChallenge campaigns drive engagement
The World Association of Girl Guides & Girl Scouts mobilizes its 10.2 million girls and young women across 152 countries to #ChooseToChallenge, while leveraging fundraising efforts via considerable support and great resources ... more
Women deploy passion projects to #ChooseToChallenge
From harnessing the power of women's stories to using videography to challenge stereoptypes, women are using their skills, talent and passion to delve deep into what it means to #ChooseToChallenge.
Infuencers and iconic brands engage their largescale social media communities
- Manchester United rallies its massive 40 million followers and calls for its supporters to rise to the challenge and share their #ChooseToChallenge stories.
- Indian actress Samantha Akkineni urges her 15.4m followers to #ChooseToChallenge and "never settle for less than what we deserve."
- Indian cricketers Smriti Mandhana and Jemimah Rodrigues put the call out to millions of fans to #ChooseToChallenge as they inspire self-belief in girls.
- 5x Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers asked its fan base of millions to engage with the #ChooseToChallenge theme, enlisting support from sportscaster Erin Andrews.
- Indian actress Namrata Shirodkar encouraged her fans to "#ChooseToChallenge every barrier, every bias that holds women back from realizing their worth."
- The UK's Arsenal Women's Football Club called upon its 16.7 million followers to forge a more inclusive world and asked them to stand together and #ChooseToChallenge.
- West Ham United blazed IWD over the London Stadium ahead of its game, calling for fans to #ChooseToChallenge.
- Australian Open mobilized its community to #ChooseToChallenge featuring Serena Williams, Ash Barty, Ons Jabeur and further women.
- UK's Premier League Liverpool Football Club marked IWD with a range of activities supporting the #ChoosetoChallenge theme.
- Actress, singer and content creator TV host Azza Zarour in Palestine raised her hand in solidarity against discrimination and inequality.
- Leading fashion designer and lifestyle brand icon, Kendra Scott chooses to challenge the idea only 17% of venture capital goes to female entrepreneurs.
- Sitara Ghattamaneni, daughter of Indian actors Namrata Shirodkar and Mahesh Babu, celebrated the #ChooseToChallenge call with her followers.
- AJ Clementine uses her platform as a trans women to rally her fans to #ChooseToChallenge saying "we all have a choice to do better & help create an inclusive world."
- Writer Naomi Davis, known as Taza, asks followers to #ChooseToChallenge and kindly support IWD Charity of Choice WAGGGS.
- Snapchat asked its global community to "Raise your hand to pledge and support closing the gender gap! #ChooseToChallenge."
- 5x world record holding powerlifter Dr. Stefanie Cohen called on her followers to "challenge biases, question stereotypes and celebrate the achievements of women around the world."
- Garnering almost half a million likes NASA kindly gave a big #ChooseToChallenge amplification as it celebrated women past and present whose grit and talent propel us forward.
- Many further iconic social media influencers and media outlets are lending support to mobilize and engage their sizable communities to #ChooseToChallenge.
Community #ChooseToChallenge message reinforcement
Across the world, billboard and community advertising attracts attention of the masses and encourages them to #ChooseToChallenge.
Have #ChooseToChallenge best practice to share?
Remember to take lots of pictures and videos of your IWD 2021 #ChooseToChallenge activity, then watch this space for details about how to provide a summary of your IWD best practice post March 8.
See IWD best practice examples from previous years
Step back in time to read about the many organizations across the world recognized for their IWD best practice achievements.