How to use the IWD Activity Cards
Thank you to those groups who have ordered International Women's Day Event Packs to support impactful activity.
Included in each IWD Event Pack are 50 International Women's Day Activity Cards.
The purpose of these IWD Activity Cards is to engage your audience and encourage them to commit to action and pledges that will help forge a more gender equal world.
Follow the step-by-step instructions below to create a visually engaging IWD Pledge Wall.
And remember, the journey in creating the pledges and action commitments is just as important as the finished outcome of the IWD Pledge Wall.
Create an IWD Pledge Wall
So you have your IWD Event Pack and you're all set to engage your audience to be part of a global movement committed to helping forge a more gender equal world.
Here's how you can create an engaging and visually exciting International Women's Day Pledge Wall.
Step 1 - Set the context
An equal world is an enabled world. Explain why a more gender-equal world is important, and why women's equality is key overall.
Step 2 - Give a call-to-action
Ask your audience to carefully consider this question:
- "What impactful action can you take to specifically help forge women's equality?"
Step 3 - Engage audience commitment
Using the IWD purple pens provided, on the round IWD Activity Cards from your Pack, ask your audience to write a specific and tangible ACTION they can take to help forge a more gender equal world.
Here are some suggested ACTIONS you might like to share to inspire the thinking.
I will help forge women's equality by:
- calling out gender stereotypes or bias
- boycotting products where advertising stereotypes women
- taking children or friends to women's sporting matches
- buying from women-owned businesses more
- donating time or resource to a women's charity or initiative
- questioning and challenging all-male speaker panels (manels)
- mentoring a woman and helping her build her support network
- flying the flag for women among family and friends
- listening more openly to everyone, all genders
- noticing gender representation on boards of directors
Alternatively, audiences can write a specific BELIEF that they can hold that will help them maintain a "gender equal mindset" and live their personal commitment.
Here are some examples you can provide to stimulate thought.
I will help forge women's equality by:
- reflecting on how fair and inclusive my actions and comments are
- valuing women's contributions and achievements more
- being aware of bias and questioning assumptions I make about women
- keeping an open mind about equality and inclusion
- noticing and questioning when women aren't present or equal
- respecting and embracing difference
- reflecting more regularly on how my actions are perceived
Step 4 - Create an IWD Pledge Wall
Display IWD Activity Cards on a designated wall space (e.g. foyer, shop window, canteen wall, meeting room, lift well, restrooms, etc).
IWD Activity Cards can be placed in a random format (as shown below), or they can be arranged in a creative visual format (e.g. posted up as a circle; as an I-W-D letter format; in a curving snake line; in the shape of the international women's symbol; geometrically in columns and rows; etc).
How creative can you get?
Take an engaging image of your "IWD Pledge Wall" and post it on social media using the #IWD2024 and #IWDpledgewall hashtags. The IWD Team will be re-posting and promoting some of the best visuals from across the world.
If possible, ask your audience to take their IWD Activity Card with them later on to display it as an everyday reminder of their promise for action, because collectively we can all continue to help forge a more gender equal world. Or, if participants wrote their name on the back of their IWD Activity Card, return them at a later point in time to remind them about their commitment made to help forge women's equality.
Notes and further ideas
Here are some further aspects to consider.
- The IWD Pledge Wall makes an engaging backdrop for CEO or celebrity speeches, social media posts, awareness raising in commonly used areas, as a discussion starter for further activity, etc.
- IWD Pledge Walls can be created and displayed in shops, libraries, schools, community centers, universities, hospitals, sports venues, companies, gymnasiums, kindergartens, broadcast studios, and more.
Take a look at some previous IWD Pledge Walls
Have an #IWDpledgewall image to share?